Benefits of becoming a member in the student chapter include:
- Discounted membership fee (only $10.00 annually).
- Qualification for the David C. Martin Award. This prestigious award includes an honorarium (up to $1,500.00) which allows the recipient to attend the American Geriatrics Society national conference to present his/her work. Winners are selected from among those student members who meet award criteria and whose work is accepted by both the AGS or the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR) for presentation at the national meeting and by the Society’s Board of Directors.
- Subscription to the Pennsylvania Geriatrics Society newsletter. This publication provides news and updates on programs and issues at the local level.
- A significant discount when registering for the annual Clinical Update in Geriatric Medicine conference, jointly sponsored by the Society and the University of Pittsburgh Center for Continuing Education. Designed by geriatricians, family practitioners, and internists, the conference includes state-of-the-art lectures from internationally-respected authorities, workshops, a game show format review of geriatrics, a dinner forum to discuss topical issues, and a half-day devoted to long term care topics.
- The Fall Educational Program provides members a clinical review and update of common problems affecting the elderly, by a local or national speaker. The program offers members a chance to network and socialize with fellow colleagues during dinner, followed by a lecture. A different medical specialty or subspecialty is featured each year. The program is complimentary to members.